" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Friday, April 29, 2016

Ontario Trip

My wife and I have spent the last 10 days in Ontario visiting family and friends. We have not been back for several years due to work on the cabin and it was great to see everyone so happy and healthy. This of course, also meant visiting some bookstores. The haul was particularly good and so will require a couple of posts. The first group really sums up sf for me, Ace doubles, atmospheric  Lehr covers, a spiffy juvenile and titles like Spacehive, The Mutant Weapon, The Genetic GeneralTime to Teleport and Rocket Man. I did retouch a couple of photos but overall the books are in good shape.

I have wanted this one for quite some time, The Pirates cover is by Emsh, Mutant Weapon is not credited

 

These are upgrades on existing copies. Time to Teleport cover Emsh, Genetic General cover by Ed Valigursky, Recruit cover by Emsh.

  


Spacehive, Ace D-478, 1960, cover uncredited. From the back it looks like those pesky "Reds" are at it again.

  

Two beautiful Lehr covers I have never seen before, and a plus Assignment Nor'Dyren is by Sydney Van Scyoc author of the stunning novel Saltflower.

   

I never encounter the type of juvenile novels that might have graced the library shelves of my youth and if I do they are far too expensive. So finding this in the London Goodwill store was amazing.

Rocket Man by Lee Corry, Illustrated by William J Wagoner, Henry Holt and Company, New York, 1955.

 


  



No comments:

Post a Comment