" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Sunday, November 27, 2016

New Arrivals

Yesterday I managed to sneak in a visit to Fair's Fair books 
while my wife and a friend shopped for some Mid Century Items 
down the street. Yippee!!

You never know what a used book store will yield. 
This trip the gems were a number of Paul Lehr covers.








A great Paul Lehr with a full scale figure, cool.



Beyond Tomorrow cover uncredited.


I knew I wanted this Brunner the second I saw the cover 
on the web. It was nice to find it without paying
 ABE pricing. The artist's name is under the right toe 
(your right) it is hard to make out,  
ISFDB states it "Appears to be PDRICK".



This copy of Venus Equilateral has a nice Jack Gaughan cover. 
I am not a huge fan of his work but I like the old school
ship and space station. This edition was printed in 1967 
but the stories appeared in Astounding starting in
1942 so the cover fits.


Peter Jones, I have a sentimental attachment to his work.
I also like the Weird Tales connection to early SF  and the 
contents looked fun. 

A Word about Weird essay, Robert Bloch
Preface, Mike Ashley
Skulls in the Stars, Robert Howard
The Three Marked Pennies, Mary Elizabeth Counselman
He That Hath Wings, Edmond Hamilton
The Distortion Out of Space, Francis Flagg
The Utmost Abomination, Clark Ashton Smith and Lin Carter
Eternal Rediffusion, Eric Frank Russell and Leslie J. Johnson
The Drucker, Ray Bardbury
The Black Kiss, Henry Kuttner and Robert Bloch
The Survivor, HPL and August Derleth 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting haul. The only one I've seen before is Venus Equilateral, which I owned for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    It was a fun bunch of books. I love used book stores because serendipity can come into play so I find runs of things like the Lehr covers or stuff I did not know I needed, but I did, like Weird Legacies.

    Thanks for your comment
    Guy

    ReplyDelete